The Carroll County Seal became the county's official seal on July 1, 1977. The seal consists of "three concentric circles, with the inscription 'Carroll County Maryland' inserted between the inner and middle circles also having two stylized six-leaved blossoms located, one each, on opposite sides of the same space between the inner and middle circle, also within the inner circle is a replica of the four-horse freight wagon with the year 1837 imposed above the wagon." When legislation was enacted effective July 1, 1977, there was no mention of colors for the seal, although the colors used are red, white, blue and brown. (information about the seal obtained from http://www.marylandtheseventhstate.com/article1057.html)
The county was named for Charles Carroll of Carrollton (September 19, 1737 - November 14, 1832). He was the last surviving signer of the American Declaration of Independence. He was 95 when he died.
During the American Civil War, the population of Carroll County was divided between supporters of the Union and the Confederacy. In 1863, troops moved through the county as part of the Gettysburg campaign. They attempted to cut off communications between Washington and the Army of the Potomac by tearing up tracks of the B&O Railroad at the Hoods Mill and Sykesville. Two small bridges were set on fire, including the one at Piney Run. Later that afternoon, on June 29, 1863, the cavalry skirmish known as Corbit's Charge was fought the streets of Westminster under General J.E.B. Stuart.
Notable citizens of Carroll County include:
Francis Scott Key, lawyer and author of the Star Spangled Banner (Sept 14, 1814 during war of 1812). Francis Scott Key was born on his family plantation, Terra Rubra, in what is now western Carroll County.
Roger B. Taney, Chief Justice of the Supreme Court at the time of the Dred Scott decision. Taneytown is named after Roger Taney.
Carroll County is bordered on the north by the Mason-Dixon Line, Liberty Reservoir forms part of its eastern border, the Patapsco River forms its southern border, and the western border consists of the Monacacy River and Sam's Creek. Other major streams include Big Pipe Creek, Little Pipe Creek, Bear Branch, and the headwaters of the Gunpowder River. The Piney Branch Reservoir is in the southern part of the county.
Maryland is divided into 23 counties and Baltimore City. Carroll is one of the twenty-three counties. Maryland also donated a section of land to the US Capitol, Washington DC. The state capital of Maryland is Annapolis, which is located in Anne Arundel County. Westminster is the government seat for Carroll County.
This county is a part of the Baltimore-Washington Metropolitan Area. Most of the county is still rural in nature, but is become increasingly suburban. Since it is so close to Washington DC, many residents in Carroll County are employeed outside the county.
The terrain consists of largely of rolling piedmont hills. The most significant of these is Parrs Ridge, which bisects the county extends from southwest to northeast. The highest point is in the northeastern part of the county on Dug Hill along Deep Run Road.
There are three railroads running through Carroll County:
The old B&O Main Line crosses the southern part of the county, with stations in Sykesville and Mount Airy.
The Western Maryland Railroad tracks go through Carrollton, Westminster, New Windsor, and Union Bridge.
The old Baltimore and Hanover Line goes through Hampstead, Millers, and Lineboro.
All three railroad lines are currently operated by CSX Transportation.
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of 1,172 km² (452 mi²). 1,163 km² (449 mi²) of it is land and 8 km² (3 mi²) of it (0.72%) is water.